With the deadline for aircraft to be equipped with ADS-B Out coming up fast in the US, there’s another simple solution: uAvionix has received Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Technical Standard Order (TSO) approval for its tailBeacon rear position light integrated with an ADS-B OUT device.
The tailBeacon can replace the rear navigation light on many light aircraft types and includes an integrated GPS, barometric altitude sensor, ADS-B transponder and the position light that it replaces.
tailBeacon is a simple bolt-on and wire device, just like uAvionix’s already approved wingtip-mounted, said to take less than an hour to install.
Key points, according to uAvionix:
- No airframe modifications or additional antennas are required
- Works with any Mode C or Mode S transponder
- Transponder data is provided via the existing aircraft wiring system using the Power Transcoder
- tailBeacon uses the existing mounting location, breaker, and wiring
- The installation requires two screws and reuses the existing power and ground to your current position light.
Now what’s necessary is a Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) which uAvionix is already chasing with the FAA. Retail price in the US is $1,649.